[Ffmpeg-devel] The "Intermingled Mess" issue.

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Sep 19 20:32:28 CEST 2005

Christian Iversen wrote:
> Just my 5c, but wouldn't something like "make menuconfig" from the Linux
> kernel be the perfect way to configure ffmpeg? For instance, MP3_DECODER
> could depend on COMMON_MPEG_ROUTINES which could pull in SOME_IDCT_ROUTINE,
> etc. All this would happen automatically, and the user would have no problem
> configuring this library.
>
> This is just a loose idea, of course - any comments?

	This same idea occurred to me recently -- using a Linux config type of
system for FFmpeg -- but I had no idea that kbuild was a separate
software package that other projects could integrate.

	I see that kbuild (kbuild.sf.net) is GPL. Would that conflict with
FFmpeg at all? Sure, FFmpeg is LGPL, but we do not want to build kbuild
into FFmpeg. We would just want to use kbuild to build FFmpeg.

--
	-Mike Melanson