[Ffmpeg-devel] Macromedia Flash 8

Martin Boehme boehme
Tue Sep 20 09:24:57 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Colin Ward wrote:
>>   Ok, thanks.  You can never trust version numbers these days,
>>especially if the marketing men have had anything to do with them.  WMV9
>>could be version 9 of WMV, if engineers set the version number, or it
>>could be only version 2 or 3, if marketing men set the version number!
>
> You have that backwards. If it were up to the tech people, version
> numbers would be lower and the codec would be WMV3. It's the marketing
> folks who artificially inflate version numbers to make software appear
> more advanced.

I think that's what Colin meant... ;-) What I think he's saying is:

What "WMV9" could mean is:

(i) This is really the ninth actual version of WMV ever developed (if it
was named by tech people)

or

(ii) this is actually only the second or third actual version of WMV,
but it was named WMV9 because that sounds better (if it was named by the
marketing guys).

Martin

--
Martin B?hme