[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG-1 Decoder

Matthew Gertner matthew
Thu Sep 29 14:45:18 CEST 2005

Hi,

We're using libavcodec and libavformat in our project to decode various
audio/video formats. I understand that MPEG-1 is supported, but just
came across a video file that the libraries were unable to interpret.
The libavcodec reports a single audio stream in the file and no video
stream. I verified the format using GSpot, and it is indeed MPEG-1
though I suppose there are many internal variations to the format (I'm
far from an expert on this). I can open and play the file using
VirtualDub and MPlayer, so it definitely is a valid video file. I know
that MPlayer uses libmpeg2 as well as libav*, so based on this and some
vague hints I found, I am speculating that there are some issues with
decoding MPEG-1 using libav*. But I wasn't able to find any definitive
confirmation of this.

Can someone help me out? Are there indeed limitations to MPEG-1 support,
or am I doing something wrong (wrong configuration flags or something).
In the former case, are there plans to address these limitations? Is
there some timeline? Or should we plan to use libmpeg2 as well?

Thanks in advance,
Matt