[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG-1 Decoder

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Sep 29 16:55:38 CEST 2005

Matthew Gertner wrote:
> Nico,

Please dont top-post.

> I'd be fascinated to find out more about how media files are
> multiplexed, but realistically this is far out of my area of expertise
> so the learning curve is likely to be steep. On Francois's suggestion I
> posted a truncated version of the naughty file here:
> http://www.allpeers.com/blog/downloads/MPEG-1%20Issue.mpg.
>
> Perhaps someone with the necessary expertise will be interested enough
> to take a look.

I have run the file thru a demuxer of mine that is designed to follow
the MPEG standard very strictly rather than be effective and permissive
as mplayer is. The diagnostic is clear:

*** expect_bits: horoMpkCorruptionError: Expecting 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0001 1011 1010 at bitpos 0, got 0101 0010 0100 1001 0100 0110 0100 0110

This is definitely not a standard MPEG-1 system stream (aka PS). How was
the file encoded in the first place?

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director