[Ffmpeg-devel] Flash 8 (FLV) File Specificaton out

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Apr 1 00:43:04 CEST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:57:29AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer said:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:47:01AM +0200, :: Gerd Hilgemann / Onlinelib.de ::
> > wrote:
> >> v8 of Flash (SWF) and Flash Video (FLV) specification is available
> >> The Macromedia Flash (SWF) and Flash Video (FLV) File Format Specification
> >> (Version 8) went live on the licensing center today!
> >> I know a lot of people have been waiting for it, and we appreciate your
> >> patience.
> >>
> >> register for free the sdk and download the pdf!
> >>
> >> LINK: http://www.macromedia.com/licensing/developer/
> >
> > from their FAQ:
> > ---------
> > Can I use the File Format Specification to create a SWF interpreter or player?
> >
> > No, the File Format Specification is provided for the specific purpose of
> > enabling software applications to export to the Macromedia Flash File Format
> > (SWF).
> >

> > Can I use the File Format Specification to create a Flash Video encoder or a
> > Flash Video streaming service?
> >
> > No, the File Format Specification is provided for the specific purpose of
> > enabling software applications to export to the Macromedia Flash File Format
> > (SWF).
>
> Is this legally enforcable, or is it just FUD?

Possibly just FUD, but proof that we free and open specifications for
all formats.  So whoever knows a bit about FLV is welcome add it to the
multimedia wiki:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Flash_Video

Diego