[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] spam filtering rules

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Apr 1 10:08:35 CEST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:05:17PM +0200, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> >i would like to add a few spam filter rules to ffmpeg-dev
> >1. "0.4.9" || "0.4.8" || "0.4.7"
> >2. "visual c" || "msvc" || "visual studio"
> >
> >my suggestion is that these would only be held for admin approval
> >and some volunteer would look at them and approve the few which are
> >not spam
> >
> >comments?
>
> I think that's a great idea. Don't forget "vc++" too. And maybe C++.
> Just mention somewhere on the website that this rule is on, so that
> users of your library don't bother contacting you.

No need for sarcasm, this is not a support hotline.  This mailing list
is for FFmpeg development, not for end-user support or for answering the
same questions over and over again, especially if they are about
uninteresting subjects and non-supported compilers etc.

I'll also note that bug reports have a limited utility for projects
driven by volunteers like this one.  The number of bugs is potentially
infinite and the day has only 24 hours.  You'll end up working on the
bugs you care about yourself.

But the central problem is one of communication, as usual.  The website
and the FAQ should state more clearly what to do with VC++ problems etc.
Maybe we should also create a separate mailing list for this.

Diego