[Ffmpeg-devel] Illegal instruction error for ffmpeg and x264 on Intel iMac

Laine Lee llee
Tue Apr 4 16:51:24 CEST 2006

On 4/1/06 5:22 AM, "Dieter"

>> Maybe I can find another way to do what strace does. Thanks.

>Strace appears to be the penguinized version of ktrace.

OK, good. Thanks!

Please help me examine the results (links included below).

To refresh your memory, I used a small test file of just under 7 seconds of
mpeg2 video.

When run on the Intel, the following ffmpeg command is successful:

$ ffmpeg -i /video.mpg  -s 320x240 -pix_fmt yuv420p -f rawvideo
/intermediate.y4m

When run on the Intel, the following x264 command is successful only if the
version of x264 used is compiled for PPC (output results included):

$ x264 -o /output.mp4 /intermediate.y4m 320x240

Here's the kernel process tracing for each version of x264. Both commands
were issued on the Intel Mac

ktrace of h.264 encoding command issued to the version of x264 that was
built on the Intel with gpac enabled:

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/Intelx264trace.html

ktrace of h.264 encoding command issued to the version of x264 that was
built on the PPC with gpac enabled:

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/PPCx264trace.html

Thanks again!

--