[Ffmpeg-devel] Video compression and quality of codecs.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 6 01:47:14 CEST 2006

Hi

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:22:09PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
[...]
> > What astonishes me is the quality which was so much better on the WMV
>
> Probably a case of misuse of the h.263 codec if the quality difference is
> _huge_ versus the current WMV9. Not to say that WMV9 shouldn't "beat" h.263,
> but I wouldn't have thought the difference would be huge. (h.263 has in-loop
> filtering doesn't it? Or is that h.263+? Or am I insane? :))

i think the loop filter is in h.263+ but OBMC is already allowed in h.263 if
iam not mistaken ...
and there are alot of things to finetune for best quality (trell, 4mv, obmc,
2pass, ...)

IIRC some propriatary codecs lie about the framerate and encode at lower
framerates in high motion cases, IIRC the h.263 reference SW does that too
so subjective quality should be compared instead of number if possible

> > Anyway, regarding strictly compression, the question that wonders me is:
> > which is the best codec that still keeps a good quality in FFmpeg not
> > regarding CPU consumption, memory or other factors, simply compression?
>
> Codec recommendations are pretty much as Luca says, though I'd place emphasis
> on x264 at the moment.

yes, i second that

Michael