[Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Apr 7 21:46:30 CEST 2006

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:54:56PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> MPEG4 is generally considered a failed experiment.
>
> By whom?

Codec developers and users (not counting r1pp3rz), mainly.  The
increased complexity over MPEG2 is often too large compared to the
quality improvement.  For instance, including a loop filter would have
added little to the complexity, and could have significantly improved
the quality.

>> Don't get me wrong, matroska is just as bad, only in different ways.  It
>> aims to do *everything* with no regard to whether those things make sense
>> or not.  More often than not, they don't.
>
> At least it works.. aside from the idiotic lacing which makes A/V sync
> difficult.

I've never noticed that problem with matroska.  My main complaint
about matroska is that it is overly complex.  Implementing a fully
featured demuxer is a major piece of work.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com