[Ffmpeg-devel] [Linuxtag] floor plan and accomodation

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Apr 9 22:29:18 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi
>
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:30:57PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>>
>> > Hi

>> > no, authors who produce valuable stuff should get money authors who
>> > produce crap should get none/less
>> > you dont need a capitalistic-copyright style system to do this
>> > just some popularity (like how many times has X been downloaded
>> > or how many people vote for it or whatever
>>
>> With that system, we would be paying for what people on average like.
>> That means that I would have to pay for stupid soaps that I'd never
>> think of watching.  I don't mind paying for music/films/books, if I
>> can choose for myself which authors get my money (and the price is
>> reasonable), but I hate being forced to pay for things I don't want.
>
> hmm, well then  what about the following hypothetical system
>
> 1. decide based on income/ amount of money a person has / ... how much
>    she pays for intelectual works
> 2. each person can freely decide who gets this money, if the person
>    doesnt say anything it is distributed according to popularity
>
> happy now?

What's wrong with a system basically like the current one, where every
book/cd/dvd has a price tag, and you pay whatever the price is of the
material you want?  Just get rid of all the whinging from the
publishers, and set the prices at more sensible levels.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com