[Ffmpeg-devel] Snow slicing support

Loren Merritt lorenm
Tue Apr 11 11:58:41 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Oded Shimon wrote:
>>
>> In this case the difference was still obvious, but the results are very
>> inaccurate. is there a better way for this? maybe START_TIMER around the
>> whole decode() function?
>
> That what I'd do. Since measuring the whole decode() function is likely
> to be inaccurate due to interruptions, I suggest you run it a number of
> times (let's say, 100 times) and take the mean value, and the shortest
> value.
> This should take care of the measurement fuzzinesss.

Do you mean to decode a 100-frame snow file, and measure each frame once?
Then minimum time is meaningless.
Do you mean decode one frame 100 times? Then cache usage is unrealistic,
as stuff may be reused from one run to the next that's not reused between
frames.

For whole codec optimizations, I get more reproducible results from
time(1) than from -benchmark.

--Loren Merritt