[Ffmpeg-devel] Snow slicing support

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Tue Apr 11 13:17:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/11/06, Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> > Oded Shimon wrote:
> >>
> >> In this case the difference was still obvious, but the results are very
> >> inaccurate. is there a better way for this? maybe START_TIMER around the
> >> whole decode() function?
> >
> > That what I'd do. Since measuring the whole decode() function is likely
> > to be inaccurate due to interruptions, I suggest you run it a number of
> > times (let's say, 100 times) and take the mean value, and the shortest
> > value.
> > This should take care of the measurement fuzzinesss.
>
> Do you mean to decode a 100-frame snow file, and measure each frame once?
> Then minimum time is meaningless.
> Do you mean decode one frame 100 times? Then cache usage is unrealistic,
> as stuff may be reused from one run to the next that's not reused between
> frames.
>
> For whole codec optimizations, I get more reproducible results from
> time(1) than from -benchmark.

I was more thinking about about running the whole program several
times (maybe not 100 times, but a good 20 times seams like a minimum),
redirect the ouput of timers to a file, and extract the meaning full
information with some perl or shell script.

... but that's probably overkill if you can get the same effect using
the simple "time" prgm.

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.