[Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?

matthieu castet castet.matthieu
Sat Apr 15 10:30:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

jkoleszar at on2.com wrote:

>>>Nonsense. There are plenty of "very VERY bad" companies out there, and
>>>On2 isn't one of them.
>>
>>Then please tell us what you call a company that threatens free software
>>developers when they implement their proprietary formats and has their
>>lawyers send out nastygrams to me for putting libvp62 in my homedir?
>>
>>I'm very curious to hear your position on this...
>>

> We don't believe that any free software developer implemented our
> proprietary format. We believe that a free software developer published
> our implementation of our proprietary format. As a public company, we need
> to take all possible measures to protect our intellectual property. We
> need to take action to prevent the distribution of our code that we
> believe was illegally obtained or in the very least obtained in
> contravention of our license. Similarly, the open source community takes
> every possible measure to protect its intellectual property when it finds
> that a commercial company has violated the community's chosen licensing
> terms.

The difference between your company and open source community is that
open source community
provide proof before asking to cease the distribution of the code that
violate copyright.

For example look how Xvid react against sigma-design REALmagic violation...

Matthieu

PS : I love the On2 posts on doom9 forum (
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108936&page=3 ).