On2 vs libvp62 (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?)

Rich Felker dalias
Sat Apr 15 22:02:20 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:25:39AM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> In message <20060415134828.GC1890 at biurrun.de>, Diego Biurrun writes:
> > And anyway, what is fairly complex to you? As seen above libvp62 is
> > around 3000 lines of code.  Writing (and debugging) that much code can
> > take some time depending on your skill and experience, but we're not
> > talking about man-years here.
>
> The usual figure is 10 lines of code per day, so 3000 lines would be
> 300 person-days.

This is utter nonsense. My libc implementation is 26038 lines of code,
and I have not spent 2603.8 days on it. The project was started in
December and I've hardly worked every day/round the clock on it.

For something like VP62, leaving out the step of discovering how it
works and just assuming you already have specs, I would think 3000
lines of code would take at most a week or two for a competent coder.

> This includes writing requirements document, design document,
> test document, document review, writing code, code review, writing
> tests, test review, testing.
>
> It is about 10 lines per day regardless of the language.

This is bullshit you were taught in a CS class, and has nothing to do
with the real world.

Rich