On2 vs libvp62 (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?)

Mike Melanson mike
Sat Apr 15 23:01:22 CEST 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> maybe its:
>
> average developer employed by average company: 10 line / day
> average free software developer who volunteerly works on something (s)he
> cares about: 100 lines / day

	No. These metrics have little to do with how many lines of new code a
programmer writes per day. It has much more to do with how many LOC
comprise a program at some point in time vs. how long that program has
been in existence, and actively developed. You may have written a bunch
of code but then someone else thought of an efficient way to refactor it
thus eliminating a bunch of LOC. Debugging time is also factored into
the total time metric.

	Not perfect, but neither are our metrics measuring FPU vs. integer
performance.

--
	-Mike Melanson