[Ffmpeg-devel] -ss having trouble with VOB file: bug?

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo
Thu Apr 20 18:39:29 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 07:44 +0000, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> > > Looks like a damaged input file (or less probable: a libavcodec bug).
> >
> > Yeah I believe there is something strange with the input file but as
> > transcode has no problem seeking inside this same file, I thought I
> > should report it.
>
> Transcode and seeking? I guess you mean encoding from a certain offset,
> ok.

You are right, I mean enconding from a certain offset.

> IIRC transcode uses libmpeg2 to decode mpeg2 while ffmpeg uses
> libavcodec. The latter might be more strict in it's decoding.

It can be but both xine and mplayer can play this same VOB file.
Neither of them use libavcodec?

BTW, I can send a piece of the VOB file if there is someone interested.

> Sometimes simply de-muxing and remuxing helps, if the damage is in the
> container.

I will try it and report back the results.

Thanks for your info,

Rodrigo Severo