[Ffmpeg-devel] closed captioning bug?

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Sat Apr 22 11:04:55 CEST 2006

Hi Again,

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:51:19 -0400
[...]
> I think it's ALSA. I just tried ffmpeg with "-an" and captions work
> fine. The video is not distorted or anything... I'm using i810_audio.
If the loaded module is i810_audio, I suspect you are not using ALSA, but the old OSS module. Which is buggy (it does not honour non-blocking reads) and will result in dropped frames...
I suspect you must load the proper snd-* modules (can some ALSA expert please confirm?) + the OSS emulation modules (snd-oss-pcm or something like that).

Anyway, if you do not use alsa modules you can forget a decent A/V capture with ffmpeg...
Before recompiling the drivers from source, be sure that you are loading the proper modules :)
(yes, I know... Modern distributions automagically load the modules that they like, and they often end up with the wrong audio modules...)

			Luca