[Ffmpeg-devel] closed captioning bug?

Cyrus A lists
Sun Apr 23 18:05:55 CEST 2006

Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi,
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:51:19 -0400
> Cyrus A <lists at rooseveltmedia.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> ok, ive not the faintest idea whats wrong but does chaning the
>>> resolution / encoding to /dev/null using -vcodec copy help?
>>>
>>> btw, are there any distortions in the video vissible?
>>> maybe the diskaccess for encoding is causing some buffers of the
>>> capture hw to overrun in that case hdparm / pci settings
>>> might have some effect
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>> I think it's ALSA. I just tried ffmpeg with "-an" and captions work
>> fine.
>>
> I had similar problems in the past, and I do not think the cause is alsa. In my opinion, it is the A/V synch code in ffmpeg.c that does not work well with video4linux + oss input.
>
> I think you have 2 possibilities:
> 1) go in ffmpeg.c:do_video_out(); about 10 or 20 from the beginning of the function you see something like
> if (vdelta < 1.1)
> else if (vdelta > 1.1)
> Change 1.1 with something bigger (around 5 should be enough, if I remember well), and it should fix your problem.
> This is clearly a hack :)
>
> 2) the correct solution: use v4l2. Which brings the question: why is it not used? I suspect there is a problem in the check in configure (which might be too conservative, to avoid breaking the build).
> You are using fedora, right? I might have a patch somewhere that could help... I'll search for it, and I'll send it later.
>

> 			Luca

The vdelta hack didn't work. I tried -5, 5 and -15, 15. The first line
read "if (vdelta < -1.1)" which is what I'm assuming you meant in your
hack (you had it without the negative sign). If not, please let me know.

I'm not sure how to force ffmpeg to use v4l2. The configure output says
nothing about it. Any help on how to force that change would be greatly
appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll try the final alsa 1.0.11 version from sources. It
might be a long shot, but at least it's something I can do while I wait.

Cyrus