[Ffmpeg-devel] Google Summer Of Code

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Tue Apr 25 00:34:48 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 02:37:07PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Hi,
> 	This was brought to my attention just this morning:
>
>   http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

  For a couple of weeks everywhere I look folks mention Google's
  Summer of Code. I guess its a good thing, but having tried the
  same format internally I have my doubts at how effective it
  might be.

> Those are the top 2 proposals I have in mind.

  These were good ones. However, from my personal experience it is
  usually beneficial to have a wide range of projects in terms of
  complexity. And in my book, the ones you've submitted are pretty
  complex. More simple ones would be working on ffmpeg.c/ffserver.c.
  I thinks everyone who uses ffmpeg.c/ffserver.c has their favorite
  list of things which don't quite work, but are not hopelessly
  broken so there's no point in fixing them right away. I certainly
  do have mine.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. And docs, don't forget that not all of the students are competent
programmers and some of them could be made happy by being exposed to
the technology, but not challenged by it.