[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Flix Engine uses memcoder in commerical Flix Engine

Rich Felker dalias
Thu Apr 27 22:02:44 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:10:51PM -0400, John Koleszar wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:16:06PM -0400, John Koleszar wrote:
> >> Frankly, I've had a hard enough time trying to get anybody to look at
> >> the the fixes, let alone adding features. Not to mention the general
> >> animosity (with good technical reason) for all that is ogg/xiph over
> >> there. Certainly had no reason to keep it secret..
> >
> > Out of curiosity: Why do you mux to Ogg?  It has very little going for
> > it..
> >

> Rather than inventing a new container format, I wanted to use something
> existing. Ogg was the only one I knew of at the time that allowed you to
> write a well formatted stream without seeking, a requirement since the
> data is sent over a pipe.

NUT is the best choice for this -- it's specifically designed with the
goal of writing without seeking and never causing more buffering/delay
than necessary. However...

> NUT might be a better choice today (don't know
> about the license of libnut offhand though), but it wasn't ready a few
> months ago. The data overhead of ogg in this application isn't _too_
> bad, though the reference implementation (libogg) sucks horribly,
> performance wise.

Unfortunately it's still not a choice YET due to lack of final spec.
We're essentially frozen now and going to announce the formal freeze
very soon. Sorry we can't do better on this.

Rich