[Ffmpeg-devel] Containers

Oded Shimon ods15
Fri Apr 28 21:49:03 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:30:52PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> writes:
> > And I wouldn't compare containers as they have different designs,
> > goals, good sides and bad sides. For example in that list only AVI
> > and matroska have seek entry (optional in matroska as most of it)
> > and can do chapters (theoretical in AVI).
>
> What we are saying is that we have tried and failed to find *any* good
> sides of matroska.  It's nothing personal, we just don't like bloat.

To be fair, I actually consider mkv to be the best container after NUT, I
even at times considered why I'm working at NUT at all since mkv exists.
The advantages it has is, free (think asf), low overhead, and at least
sane (as opposed to ogg/mp4/many others). The only big disadvantages it
has (IMO) is the optional lacing which destory pts for every frame,
supporting more than one stream with non-intra-only frames, and ofcourse
complexity...

- ods15