[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Ramiro Polla ramiro86
Tue Aug 1 17:30:30 CEST 2006

Steve Lhomme wrote:
>Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>>I think it's a waste of time. Given the only answer anyone will ever get
>>>there is: don't use windows or don't use MSVC. Given it's already on the
>>>webpage there's no reason to create something that will just create even
>>>more frustration from users of your code.
>>
>>You misunderstand.  This is a constructive suggestion aimed at
>>separating the Windows users from the Windows-hating crowd.  This should
>>make the lives of both factions easier.
>>
>>People like you can subscribe there and give support, this will create
>>an easily searchable archive for Windows-related questions.
>
>That sounds like a semi-official ground for a windows fork, which I would
>agree with and contribute to. Given the main problem with windows is not
>really windows (cygwin and mingw are officially supported) but MSVC I think
>it shouldn't be named ffmpeg-windows but ffmpeg-msvc or maybe
>ffmpeg-other_cc.

Badly installed and configured msys mingw are responsible for many bug
reports too. A regular and simple msys install does not work. Everything
must be up-to-date, and even then some changes need to be done. So I
think ffmpeg-windows would be appropriate, or at least better than
ffmpeg-msvc.