[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Tue Aug 1 18:01:13 CEST 2006

Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi
>
> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Well I object, vociferously. Contrary to what others post, the ffmpeg
>> doc, and the web site, do *not* relegate windows to the rank of
>> second-rate platform. Only compiling ffmpeg itself with MSVC is not
>> supported.
>>
>> Creating such a list, will have the obvious direct consequence that the
>> other lists will just flame "OT! Go to ffmpeg-wincrap!", and the less
>> direct but just as obvious consequence that mingw builds will probably
>> be broken 95% of the time. Windows *will* be hopeless as a platform for
>> ffmpeg. That is a drastic change in development policies and I dont
>> think it should be done that lightly.
>>

> What about droping windows/mingw/cygwin support ? (g)

Using which decision mechanism?

Anyway, I would vote against it, I would not be happy to see it dropped,
but at least things would be clear, and there would be a place
downstream for a development effort to maintain a set of patches to
snapshots.

And if (g) is for grin, sorry but I find nothing funny about this thread.

Greetings,
--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director