[Ffmpeg-devel] surround sound handling

Stefan Heinzmann stefan_heinzmann
Fri Aug 18 19:34:35 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I was trying to find out whether there was a standardised way
of handling surround sound in libavcodec, but I wasn't very
successful. Apart from the number of audio channels which is
readily available, is there any non-codec-specific way to
find out about the channel mapping on a decoded signal, and
also the downmix rules for the material? I'm asking because
for example AC-3 provides several different possibilities for
both and I can't figure out how to access this information
without going into examining private data specific for the

Can anyone providee some insight, or point me to the places
where I need to look?