[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in "configure" file.

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Tue Aug 29 12:25:26 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:45:08AM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> enterit . wrote:
>>> There is a simple bug in "configure" file.
>>> `tr a-z A-Z` works properly on almost all Unix-like systems, but it
>>> does not work for SunOs 5.10.
>>> I think it's better to use `tr [a-z] [A-Z]` instead.
>> Actually, tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]', the quotes are needed.
>
> Who else is tired of rewriting seemingly every single line of a shell
> script for Solaris?

In the mid-80s, SUN worked a lot to transform their BSD into a
SYSV-compliant system, because BSD was a student's OS and commercial
stuff was to be SYSV - or so they read the future. That injected a slow
(but very toxic!) poison in their OS, which was fully compatible with
neither BSD nor SYSV, at least not till 1992 (I didnt use SUNOS after
that). Seems the disease is still there...

> I'm very tempted to just tell people to "Fix Solaris instead!" unless
> somebody comes and hits me over the head with a 20 tome Unix standard
> that disabuses me from my non-standard ways...

According to *todays* standard, SUSG, tr a-z is right:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/tr.html

And, if I read it correctly, tr '[a-z]' is *not*, so GNU tr is not
compliant either. Duh.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director