[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Dec 6 17:17:19 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 16:49 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > I know that I can ask the codec to encode PPS and SPS inline, and then
> > parse the stream to remove them... But why generating some NALs and then
> > removing them? I was under the impression that the
> > CODEC_FLAG_GLOBAL_HEADER flag was designed to help in this case, no? If
> > not, what's its purpose?
>
> CODEC_FLAG_GLOBAL_HEADER should cause the encoder to put the global header(s)
> in extradata, of course it should use the same format as is used in the
> bytestream if possible, any container specific reformating belongs to some
> other layer IMHO
Of course this it what I meant since the beginning (this is why I got
confused by this "NAL form / raw form / bytestream form" discussion :).

And, unless I misremember something this is what libavcodec/x264.c is
doing. I was just proposing to implement the same behaviour in the new
h264 encoder

			Thanks,
				Luca