[Ffmpeg-devel] qprd plus bframes = low quality

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml
Fri Dec 8 02:38:21 CET 2006

Trent Piepho wrote:
> Using qprd with b-frames seems to give much lower quality than either b-frames
> or qprd alone.
>
> You can see sample pictures and command line here:
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/qprd_b.html
>
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=6950:dia=-4:predia=8:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:v4mv:qpel:lmin=1:vpass=1:vqmin=2:mbd=2:trell:cbp:mv0:dc=8:sc_factor=4
>
> with vmax_b_frames=2 and/or qprd added.

Unless Michael steps in and sees immediately what is wrong, I suggest
that you try to (a) try to simplify your lavcopts, (b) provide a sample
source video, and (c) provide the full command line. At the very least,
post the full output of mencoder.

I tested qprd with two b-frames a while ago and didn't run into any
problems. There are several possible reasons for that, but in most cases
you need to make absolutely sure your audience can reproduce the problem
(or see what you did wrong, which has been the case for me on more than
one occasion).

-Corey