[Ffmpeg-devel] Question about parameters

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Dec 24 12:52:20 CET 2006

Hi

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 07:06:39PM -0800, Aaron Williams wrote:

> Robert Swain wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 24 Dec 2006, at 01:57, Aaron Williams wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am writing a new audio "codec" which basically computes the peak RMS
> >> volume for normalizing audio in another pass and am wondering if there's
> >> a standard way for my codec to introduce a new parameter so I can
> >> specify the RMS window size?  What is the best way for me to add this
> >> parameter to pass to my module?  My goal is to use the output from this
> >> to adjust the -vol parameter in the transcoding pass.
> >>
> >> Sorry about my previous posting.
> >
> > Did you intend to quote yourself and reply to the old thread again to
> > make this apology or do you still think you're not hijacking the
> > thread with this second posting? Don't reply to a thread and change
> > the subject to start a new thread. Compose a completely new mail and
> > send it to the appropriate address.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob
> >

> I created a new thread and did not post to the old thread again. It is
> in no way an attempt to hijack the old thread.  My previous posting
> within the other thread was a mistake.  My new posting has no reference
> to my previous posting, hence trying to clean it up and keep it out of
> the other thread.
>
> I consider the previous posting dead and will no longer respond to any
> more messages regarding my mistake in posting a new thread since I would
> rather see the discussion continue in a civilized and professional
> manner and try and keep on the topic of ffmpeg development.
>
> I will repeat my question:  How does one add codec specific parameters
> to the command line of ffmpeg without adding a general purpose option
> and without bloating AVCodecContext with new fields not needed for other
> codecs?  There are a number of parameters I wish to add for
> normalization such as RMS window size, target volume, thresholds and an
> output log filename.
>
> Another audio feature I would like to add is the ability to adjust the
> level of individual channels.

what you describe are audio filters not audio codecs and while it should
be possible to implement filters as raw-pcm codecs that would cause
alot of problems (think of chains or networks of codecs) -> its not
acceptable for ffmpeg svn and as its not acceptable for svn theres
no point in asking here how to solve the various problems ensuing
due to this missdesign

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle