[Ffmpeg-devel] Compiler warnings (was: time for a release?)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Feb 2 01:27:35 CET 2006

Hi

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:03:36AM +0000, Dieter wrote:
> >> It is good practice to keep harmless warnings away.  That way, the
> >> real ones are more easily noticed.
>
> YES!
>
> > The easy way to silence the rest of the warnings is to supply
> > the -Wno-pointer-sign option to gcc
>
> Can you guarantee that every possible pointer-sign warning
> now and in the future will be harmless?

no, can you gurantee that every odd numbered line will be bug free? so
why not print a warning for them? its not about that it might in some
very rare cases indicate a bug but if it does more often then the
remaning lines (i can show you cases where warining free lines where
buggy, can you show me one where a f([(signed)]p) case was buggy)
and MOST important are you checking the code to see if its buggy before
you add (signed)/(unsigned) casts or are you maybe just blindly
suppressing the warnings without understanding the code
now tell me how THAT is better from suppressing the warnings with a
compiler switch ...

> If so, why do
> pointer-sign warnings exist?

because at least one gcc developer implemented it, join the gcc team
and add a warning for whatever legal construct you disslike and then
sit back and enjoy all OSS projects to "fix" their code

Michael