[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in libavutil Makefile (or maybe just mystupidity? Be gentle...)

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Feb 13 13:33:53 CET 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:33:44AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >
> >I've considerably reworked and simplified the build system today.  This
> >issue should be solved now.  Reports welcome, I could not test on Win32.
>
> ******* MINGW SHARED ***********
>
> make distclean
> ./configure  --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-strip
> --enable-memalign-hack
> make
> make install
>
> Result:
>
> cp -p ffmpeg_g.exe ffmpeg.exe
> echo ignoring strip ffmpeg.exe
> ignoring strip ffmpeg.exe
> install -d /c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib
> ./install: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `1)'
> ./install: line 2: `1) Type './configure' create the configuration (use
> './configure'
> make: *** [install-libs] Error 2
>
> The problem being probably that on a Windows machine, "INSTALL" and
> "install" are the same file.

*sigh*

> I have renamed the file to install.txt (no
> cvs update of course!). Done everything again:
>
> install -d /c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib
> make -C libavformat install-lib-shared
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `//pktbes02/dsk3/people/michel/internet/ffmpeg-mingw-tutorial/libavformat'
> install  -m 755 avformat.dll "/c/Program Files/FFmpeg"
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `//pktbes02/dsk3/people/michel/internet/ffmpeg-mingw-tutorial/libavformat'
> ldconfig || true
> /bin/sh.exe: ldconfig: command not found
> install -d "/c/Program Files/FFmpeg"
> install: `/c/Program Files/FFmpeg' exists but is not a directory
> make: *** [install-progs] Error 1
>
> In my "Program Files" there is indeed no directory "FFmpeg" and there is
> a file named FFmpeg which has the same size as avformat.dll.

Also the same md5sum?  Maybe install behaves differently on MinGW, but
this sounds like a bug in install ..

> ******* MINGW STATIC ***********
>
> install -d /c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib
> make -C libavformat install-lib-static
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `//pktbes02/dsk3/people/michel/internet/ffmpeg-mingw-tutorial/libavformat'
> install -m 644 libavformat.a "/c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib"
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `//pktbes02/dsk3/people/michel/internet/ffmpeg-mingw-tutorial/libavformat'
> install -d "/c/Program Files/FFmpeg/include/ffmpeg"
> install -d "/c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib/pkgconfig"
> install: `/c/Program Files/FFmpeg/lib' exists but is not a directory
> make: *** [install-headers] Error 1
>
> Since you're working on the build system I wont attempt to patch, it
> would only cause conflicts.

Don't worry, it won't be anything that cannot be resolved.  Patches are
welcome, it's hard to fix systems you don't have access to for testing..

Diego