[Ffmpeg-devel] Bizarre build problem of the day

William Beebe wbeebe
Thu Feb 23 20:46:12 CET 2006

First, the background.
System:
Windows XP SP2, running MinGW and MSys.
ffmpeg from cvs, checked out Wednesday, 2/22/2006.

Symptom:
Changing directory to ffmpeg and running configure under MSys caused
the system to totally lock up, requiring a hard shutdown (hold the
power button down for 5 seconds on the notebook).

Solution:
For whatever reason, a process named LVPrcSrv took over 99% of the
processor after "Creating config.mak and config.h..." was displayed
during the run of configure. This was discovered from watching Windows
Task Manager during a run. LVPrcSrv is a Logitech QuickCam process
that is automatically started during system startup and is supposed to
run in the background. I was able to completely run configure if I
killed LVPrcSrv before starting configure. This is the first time this
has occurred, and the problem only occurs with this combination of
ffmpeg, MinGW/MSys, and configure. I successfully build under
MinGW/MSys without problems with other software projects with this
same combination.

I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody, unless you want to point at
Windows on general principal. I just find this whole thing weird.