[Ffmpeg-devel] Problem building ffmpeg on G3 PPC without altivec unit

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Feb 27 14:44:50 CET 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:34:59AM +0100, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:41:34 +0100
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> >
> > Just read through configure, look at lines 866-888 and try to find out
> > why it enables AltiVec.  Maybe add
>
> I don't think that autodetection fails. It only check if cpu is a
> powerpc, and if gcc is able to build altivec code. Both should be
> true even when running on a G3.
> So I guess that the altivec code as always been built on G3, and the
> current problem is not specific to G3 build.

Yes, the current code is quite bogus.  We should simply check if the
machine supports AltiVec by making it run some sort of AltiVec
instruction.

Can anybody come up with a minimal test for this?

Diego