[Ffmpeg-devel] bug installing on 64 bit systems

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Thu Jan 5 23:39:41 CET 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:40:50 -0500
csismondo at adelphia.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had to alter configure to force:
> libdir="/usr/lib64"
> instead of
> libdir=""
>
> for x86_64 systems, otherwise extra libraries (like the amr codec and such) isntall in /usr/local/lib.  For some reason trying to use configure to force prefix and lib dirs made more problems than solved.
>
> Thought you'd like to know, I think you can just alter configure to:
> case "$cpu" in
>   i386|i486|i586|i686|i86pc|BePC)
>     cpu="x86"
>   ;;
>   x86_64|amd64)
>     cpu="x86"
>    #ADDED THE LINE BELOW TO FIX 64 bit LIB DIR
>    libdir="/usr/lib64"

This is wrong !
64 bits systems uses /usr/lib as any other systems.
/usr/lib64 is only used on some 32/64 bits mixed systems.

For example, debian amd64 is a 64 bits only system, and it uses /usr/lib.

Aurel