[Ffmpeg-devel] Where do I report bugs?

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Jan 14 03:24:04 CET 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:07:02PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:11:11PM -0500, Norman Ramsey wrote:
> [...]
> >  > http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-bugreport.html
> >
> > Although I followed this procedure carefully, I received not one reply
> > to a bug report I sent a month or two ago.
>
> we are volunteers, normal people not employed by some company who pays us
> for analyzing, debuging, fixing and awnsering reports, so dont look at it like
> we where but rather what we are ... if someone is nice and awnsers, be happy
> if not, look at how many bugreports we have to deal with, consider the fact
> that we get paied for ffmpeg as much as you (0$) and consider that dealing
> with a single bugreport could take hours or longer if its a not so simple
> issue and simple ones tend to be awnsered quickly anyway ...
>
> someone add this or similar to the FAQ please unless something like this is
> in there already

I have slightly reworked the bug reporting page - it now has the standard
header and footer - and added the following bit of text:

  First off, please remember that all the developer working on FFmpeg are
  volunteers, we are not paid for analyzing, debugging, fixing and
  answering bug reports. While we try our best to create high quality
  software and be responsive, if you should not get an answer, please
  consider the above and be aware of the fact that we receive many bug
  reports and the amount of time it takes to deal with them can be
  substantial. Nevertheless most issues get resolved, just please
  understand that there are no guarantees nor promises.

As always, further suggestions are welcome.

Diego