[Ffmpeg-devel] snow MC simplification

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Mon Jan 16 22:56:50 CET 2006

On 1/8/06, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi
> Snow currently uses the h.264 luma MC functions if possible and if not
> (1/8 pel) then its own MC functions (mc_block())
> the result is that mc_block() is only used for some chroma blocks if qpel is
> enabled, so it would be nice if we could et rid of it, the attached patch
> does that, but it needs testing (encode stuff with and without and view with
> the respective player with and without the patch)
> if anyone has other ideas on how this can be simplified then dont hesitate
> to reply ...

I don't know if that was intended, but that patch fixed a chroma bug,
as you may notice it on those 2 screenshots:

vanilla version:

snow_MC_simplification patched version:

So either a recent commit broke snow, or just just fixed a
longstanding bug... Anyway, that's good stuff!

I've used those options:

The resulting files had the following size:

3998072 bytes te_vanilla.avi
4003932 bytes te_simple.avi

Regarding quality, there's no visible difference, if any.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here: