[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] rtjpeg decoding functions

Reimar at mplayerhq.hu Reimar
Wed Jan 18 11:00:01 CET 2006

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:07:12AM +0200, Justin Schoeman wrote:
> ;-) Nice to see rtjpeg is still around, although I can't for the life of
> me see why.  When I first wrote it, it was in the days of Pentium 166's,
> and was specifically designed to allow real time encoding on these
> platforms. (That is the reason for the 8-bit aligned codes -
> bitstreaming simply cost to much on x86 class machines back then.)

Yep, that's quite obvious from the code :-)

> However, there are now much better encoders that can be used on even the
> slowest machines currently available, so I don't really see the need to
> keep it going? Not that I mind - it is actually a bit flattering

I do not intend to keep it going - I'm not going to write/port the/any
encoder (esp. not for licensing under the LGPL). But I do not like old
files becoming unplayable in the future, having a decoder available for
every format, esp. with a non-restrictive license seems desirable to me.

> (although some credits would be nice).

I sure would give credit to whoever made up the format, it's just that I only
saw copyright notices in the MPlayer code and I don't find it
appropriate to take over.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger