[Ffmpeg-devel] Strange problem with H.264 video in MPEG2 TS...

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Jan 20 17:03:03 CET 2006

Luca Abeni said:
> Hi M?ns,
>
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 15:04 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
>> > If you, instead, run
>> > ./output_example source.avi
>> > ./ffmpeg -i source.avi -vcodec h264 -f mpegts - | ./ffmpeg -i -
>> > I'm pretty sure you'll see the problem too: I just did a cvs checkout
>> > from scratch, so I certainly use the latest version :)
>>
>> I tried exactly that, and I still can't reproduce it.
> I just realized that I was linking against the wrong x264 version (svn
> from about 2 weeks ago)... After upgrading x264, the problem
> disappeared.

Nice to know.

> I apologize for my error: I was so focused on checking the ffmpeg
> version that I did fail in checking the x264 version. Sorry for wasting
> your time.

No problem, slow day at work.

> So, summing up:
> - ffmpeg from CVS with x264 from svn works
> - ffmpeg from CVS with outdated (about 2 weeks old) x264 fails
>
> I am still wondering why my workarond patch worked.

The SEI message containing the x264 version apparently gets lost with reading
from a pipe in that manner.  This means that the frame rate encoding is
interpreted incorrectly (or the incorrect encoding is interpreted correctly).
It remains to figure out why packets are lost.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com