[Ffmpeg-devel] libtheora brokenness in lavc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 20 02:01:36 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 07:40:48PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
[...]
> >> imo oggtheora.c should just be removed, but if this is not acceptable,
> >> the current situation is a bug and the header conversion stuff needs
> >> to be added to it..
> >
> > i vote for removing libtheora support theres no sense in it, only use
> > would be debuging our decoder but then there are other tools like
> > mplayer which can be used and as you say our decoder is disabled if
> > libtheora is enabled so its not that usefull for debuging either
>
> I don't mind removing it, but does the native decoder now support
> theora fully?  I know it used to be incomplete.

all files i have (not many ...) either play perfectly with ffmpeg or
they arent playable with libtheora at all

ive also confirmed that the input to the idct is binary identical
to the reference for the one file which had artifacts with ffmpeg
until a few hours ago, the idct should also be identical as it
is copy & pasted from the reference IIRC

so IMHO if noone finds a theora file which can be played with libtheora
but not with ffmpeg, then libtheora support should be dropped its one
dependancy less ...