[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [OT] Wikipedia

François Revol revol
Sat Mar 4 00:57:59 CET 2006

> > > The real question, though, is how it compares to traditional
> > > paper
> > > encyclopedias.  Yes, the quality varies, but overall I'm very
> > > satisfied.
> > > Furthermore it's very hard to find a topic that is not covered
> > > nowadays.
> > > Have you ever tried to look up - say - mathematical subjects in
> > > an
> > > encyclopedia?
> >
> > The Encyclopaedia Britannica has a solid treatment of quite complex
> > scientific topics.  IIRC, there is an article on calculus spanning
> > on
> > the order of 100 pages in fairly fine print.  It's not comparable
> > to a
> > proper book on the matter, but that's not the purpose of an
> > encyclopedia.
>
> I'll give you an example: I recently needed to know the exact
> difference
> between perfect and maximal matchings on graphs, because the book I
> was
> studying from was unclear.  I looked through several math books to no
> avail, but I immediately found it on Wikipedia...

Maybe but it doesn't document the answer to Live, the Universe and
Everything as accurately as the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy,
which itself surpasses the Encyclopedia Galactica.

Oh, well, I guess it has the minimum minimorum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life%2C_the_Universe%2C_and_Everything

Fran?ois.