[Ffmpeg-devel] Fixed vs. Floating Point AAC

Benjamin Larsson banan
Mon Mar 6 00:36:11 CET 2006

Mike Melanson wrote:

> Hi,
>     Pursuant to the recent discussion of a possible AAC
> re-implementation, do you think it should rely on fixed or floating
> point numbers? I know the prevailing sentiment will probably be fixed
> point. So I wanted to ask: Pretend I don't know anything about fixed
> point programming. What do I need to know in order to create an
> effective fixed point codec implementation?
>     Thanks...

First of all, understand how it works:

After that it's just to implement with care to prevent overflow and loss
of precision.

Benjamin Larsson

"incorrect information" is an oxymoron. Information is, by definition, factual, correct.