[Ffmpeg-devel] Fixed vs. Floating Point AAC

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni
Fri Mar 10 00:23:24 CET 2006

Hi!

cs?t?rt?k 09 m?rcius 2006 23.07-kor Rich Felker ezeket a bolcs gondolatokat
fogalmazta meg:
> How can 32*32>>32 possibly be slower than 32*32? It's just a matter of
> whether you read the result from eax or edx...

You are right. I think everything should be using fixed point, because only
lamers use floating point, it's a horrible idea.
Regarding the vorbis benchmark, it sounds interesting (I would be even more
interested in how ffmpeg would have compared). It is mostly the same code
(tremor and libvorbis), so I am somewhat puzzled at the result you are
claiming.

> Rich

bye
Denes

--
---
What kills me, doesn't make me stronger.