[Ffmpeg-devel] Coverity defect scan

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Sat Mar 11 03:01:20 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:43:54PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> calling these bugs or errors stretches the definition by quite a large
> amount id call them warnings which is what they are, and like the gcc
> warnings some of them point to actual bugs but most are irrelevant
> in practice IMHO, so yeah if someone how too much time checking through
> them is a good idea, but i rather review some of the patches laying
> around on this list ...

  Right, the trick with these tools is to be able to shut them up when
  you need it. On the other hands they can be also quite valuable
  for policing commits for coding style guide violations which go
  beyond "tabs are prohibited, and so are the dangling new lines'.

> btw, why is the list not available to the public? why does one need to
> register, ok only name & email is needed (yes i got my reg without
> telling them my phone number :) )

  Because they hope that you're working for a deep pocketed corp. and
  being blown away by the insightful comments these tool makes, would
  be able to blow some money on buying it from them.

  Just wait and see their sales folks show up with an incredible offer ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.