[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Erik Slagter erik
Mon Mar 13 18:12:19 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 14:28 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > I am sure conventional analogue TV sets can display 30 fps
> > equally well as 30000/1001 fps.
>
> The reason for using 30000/1001 fps remains as long as NTSC TV sets are in use.
> If 30 fps is used the chroma and audio subcarriers can beat at a multiple of
> the horizontal scan frequency causing stationary dots in the picture.  If
> the scan rate is lowered slightly these dots will move around and become less
> visible.  Then again, maybe modern electronics have better separation of the
> signals and would cope with 30 fps; I don't know.

I was thinking of a digital set top box connected properly using a scart
or component cable. No subcarriers applicable then :-) Luckily having an
analogue TV set doesn't force you to use legacy technology ;-)