[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Mar 14 01:42:38 CET 2006

Roman Shaposhnick <rvs at sun.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:33:46PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
>> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:06 +0000, Mans Rullgard wrote:
>> > It reduces visible interference between the chroma and audio signals
>> > in an analog broadcast.  No, NTSC is not a particularly good system.
>> Nor is ITU-R M.
>> The worst thing is that this bogus frame rate still exists in digital
>> video and no attempts have been made to abandon it in e.g. HDTV
>> standards.
>   I've asked this question many times and I still don't think I know
>   the answer: why is that I see very little desire to converge on a
>   progressive unified standard with a fixed frame rate for at least
>   digital HDTV broadcasts ? I hear about Blue Ray vs. HD DVD all the
>   time but I hardly hear anything about ditching NTSC and PAL in
>   favor of something that actually makes sense in 21st century.

HD devices typically use HDMI connections (all digital) so the
modulation oddities are gone.

I don't think the reasons for the old frame rates still hanging around
are mostly technical.  I suspect that it has more to do with the
entire film and TV industry not being willing to alter all their
processes overnight.

M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com