[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Robert Edele yartrebo
Tue Mar 14 01:38:02 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 13:13 -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:33:46PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:06 +0000, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> >
> > > It reduces visible interference between the chroma and audio signals
> > > in an analog broadcast.  No, NTSC is not a particularly good system.
> >
> > Nor is ITU-R M.
> >
> > The worst thing is that this bogus frame rate still exists in digital
> > video and no attempts have been made to abandon it in e.g. HDTV
> > standards.
>
>   I've asked this question many times and I still don't think I know
>   the answer: why is that I see very little desire to converge on
>   a progressive unified standard with a fixed frame rate for at least
>   digital HDTV broadcasts ? I hear about Blue Ray vs. HD DVD all the time
>   but I hardly hear anything about ditching NTSC and PAL in favor of something
>   that actually makes sense in 21st century.
>
>   I've got only one explanation so far -- there's something I must be
>   missing in this picture.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
For all of NTSC's drawbacks, it has no DRM, it works with all my
hardware, it's patent-free, and stuff that supports it is dirt cheap.
I'm personally against the switch to HDTV - at least until the patents
expire and the hardware costs come down to Earth.

That being the case, perhaps the people designing blue ray and hd dvd
understand that a large fraction of their audience have TVs using NTSC
and want their content to have a matching framerate.

Robert Edele