HDTV, patents, DRM (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Dave Dodge dododge
Tue Mar 14 17:28:18 CET 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:25:53PM +0000, Dieter wrote:
> > For all of NTSC's drawbacks, it has no DRM, it works with all my
> > hardware, it's patent-free, and stuff that supports it is dirt cheap.
> > I'm personally against the switch to HDTV - at least until the patents
> > expire and the hardware costs come down to Earth.
>
> OTA (over the air) HDTV has no DRM (at least in the US, other countries
> may vary).

True, though the content providers keep trying to add a "broadcast flag"
to the system.

> Which patents?

I imagine he's talking about MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, and so on.  I'm
pretty sure basic decoding and playback of that stuff involves
numerous patents in the US.

                                                  -Dave Dodge