[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: HDTV, patents, DRM

Erik Slagter erik
Wed Mar 15 15:14:35 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:03 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> > Attaching a bus scanner also seems to
> > work, some do it that way, but afaik most crackers simply get their data
> > from the raw ts stream.

> Where do they access this raw ts stream?

At least my receiver gives access to the raw ts stream from software.
Maybe others do as well. It just might be that that is why most
broadcasters are ehm... not too happy with it.

Also a DVB-S card in a linux box would offer the same.

> > As almost any CAM system at least has been
> > cracked partly apparently it's quite hard to get it 100% right.
>
> Conditional access is really nothing but security by obscurity.  It's just
> that some of the systems are sufficiently obscure that nobody has managed
> to RE them.

Yep. At the moment e.g. Viaccess 2.3 is completely on the street
(TPS/Multivision). They are trying all sorts of hacks to get it more or
less secure, but it's really futile.

Anyway, my point: DRM using DVB-S CAM is not really secure. And given
the nature of the simplex traffic, I doubt it will ever be.

> > Anyway, if you're only goal is to get the video stream without DRM
> > restrictions a slightly modified STB would suffice (or use one using
> > open source software, there are a few).
>
> Open source software won't help when the secrets are embedded in silicon.

This is where the card plays a role. But all of the other stuff can be
cracked in software. It seems. I am not a hacker ;-) nor do I have any
interest in the hacking, I only watch channels I am legally subscribed
to.