American quality standards. (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Dave Dodge dododge
Thu Mar 16 01:07:23 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 02:22:49PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Just poking my head in here to note, for the little it's worth, that I
> (as a not-particularly-videophilic American) had never even *heard* of
> SCART until this discussion started;

SCART isn't used in the US.  The most likely place you'd see it is on
multisystem gear (e.g. Samsung 5000W VCR) that is specifically
designed to be compatible with European electronics.

Another cable type you probably haven't seen, but which does exist in
the US, is SDI and the high-definition version HD-SDI.  These carry
uncompressed digital video over a single coaxial cable.  They're used
mostly in the broadcast/production environment, but can also be found
in high-end home theater gear.

                                                  -Dave Dodge