[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Dave Dodge dododge
Fri Mar 17 12:04:39 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 04:42:57PM +0000, Cian Duffy wrote:
> On 16/03/06, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> > Erik Slagter wrote:
> > > A playstation 2 that outputs HD resolution??? Mine really doesn't!
> >
> > "It is also the first game on the PS2 to support 1080i resolution, it
> > also supports 480p and widescreen modes."
>
> But through what connectors? My PS2 hasn't got any ports capable of carrying
> high-definition video.

At least in the US you can easily get a YPrPb component video cable
for the PS2.  There's no reason you can't shove a 1080i analog signal
over such a cable, and I'm pretty sure that when I did my GT4 testing
I checked my projector's menus to confirm that it was seeing a 1080i
signal from the machine.  The catch, as I mentioned earlier, was that
while the _signal_ was 1080i, the _image_ most definitely was not
anywhere near 1920x1080 pixels.  It was about as jaggy as the 480p
signal, suggesting that they'd simply enabled some sort of video
scaling.  Worse yet, in 1080i mode the game still runs all of the menu
screens in 480p, so it's frequently between modes and causing the
display to re-sync the signal.  What a mess.

There's also a VGA-style cable for the PS2, but the only way I know to
get it is with the Linux kit.  Supposedly you can run X11 under Linux
on the machine with 720p or 1080i actual resolution and signalling if
you configure the X server properly.  The catch is that the Linux kit
usually outputs RGsB over that cable, and at least at the time the kit
came out people were having a hard time finding monitors that would
accept sync-on-green.

My guess is that these either the true HD modes only really work with
the RGsB signals, or that typical game content simply can't render
with a decent framerate at those resolutions -- so you're unlikely to
any true HD games on the system.

I think there's a bunch of games with 480p support, though.

                                                  -Dave Dodge