[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Sun Mar 19 22:02:29 CET 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:01:47PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 13:13 -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
> >   I've asked this question many times and I still don't think I know
> >   the answer: why is that I see very little desire to converge on
> >   a progressive unified standard with a fixed frame rate for at least
> >   digital HDTV broadcasts ? I hear about Blue Ray vs. HD DVD all the time
> >   but I hardly hear anything about ditching NTSC and PAL in favor of something
> >   that actually makes sense in 21st century.
>
> Hear, hear! Something like 24/48 fps, at least something easily
> transferable from movie. Using non-CRT screens flickering is no longer
> an issue, only the actual update frequency counts.

  Yeap. Something along these lines.

> It would mean the STB would have to do an (expensive) translation to the
> native frame rate of the legacy TV set, though.

  Well, given the proliferation of things like Cell and such and expect
  this translation to be not *that* expensive in the near future.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Hey, just wait till May for OpenSPARC to offer 8 cores for everybody
who cares to build its own CPU out of the VHDL ;-)